At Recursion we combine experimental biology, automation, and artificial intelligence to quickly and efficiently identify treatments for human diseases. We’re transforming drug discovery into a data science problem and to do that we’re building a platform for rapid biological experimentation, data generation, automated analysis, model training, and prediction.
THE PROBLEMS YOU’LL SOLVE
As the Technology IP Counsel and a member of the product attorney group reporting to the Chief Product Officer, you will shape IP strategy around our proprietary systems for accelerating drug discovery, including our artificial intelligence enabled phenotypic screening platform. This is a technology-focused role in a growth-oriented, data-driven biotech company, where you will work on many cutting edge intellectual property issues. You will independently counsel research and business colleagues as they continue to develop Recursion’s drug discovery engine. In particular, you will:
- Establish, build and enforce IP assets for Recursion’s technology and systems developed by our engineering, data science, machine learning, innovation biology and automation teams
- Assist departmental management with formation and implementation of IP-related company policies, procedures and guidelines, including patent strategy
- Preserve and strengthen IP departmental infrastructure (e.g. management of outside counsel, record keeping, cost control)
- Provide IP-related support (e.g. IP risk analysis, publication review, participation on committees, patentability, freedom-to-operate review, acquisition due-diligence, etc.) to relevant departments
- Provide direction and oversight of outside counsel in drafting and prosecution of platform-related patent applications (US and foreign patent offices).
- Review and support the drafting of nondisclosure, research, license and other agreements involving the use, transfer, or ownership of intellectual property.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- A Juris Doctorate and admission before a State bar or fully qualified legal credentials in geography of operations, and registered before the USPTO.
- 10+ years of industry and/or law firm experience.
- Must have in-depth skills and expertise in protecting data science and software engineering inventions.
- Must have strong client service orientation as well as project and personnel management experience.
- Experience in the technology or pharmaceutical industries preferred.
- Advanced degree in mathematics, computer science or related field preferred.
- Experience with competitive analysis and third-party actions (post grant proceedings, litigation).
THE PERKS YOU’LL ENJOY
- Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums (in most cases 100%)
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option grants
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter) in addition to flexible, generous vacation/sick leave
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Fully-paid gym membership to Metro Fitness, located just feet away from our new headquarters
- Gleaming new 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking
WHAT WE DO
Poised at the crossroads of biology and computation, Recursion is revolutionizing the pharmaceutical industry’s approach to drug discovery. Our unique platform leverages the most advanced biology, high-throughput automation, and artificial intelligence to rapidly discover treatments for rare diseases, diverse immune and inflammatory diseases and new indications in the future.
Recursion is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. Recursion strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against applicants because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.