At Recursion we combine experimental biology, automation, and artificial intelligence to quickly and efficiently identify treatments for human diseases. We are transforming drug discovery into a data science problem and to do that we are building a platform for rapid biological experimentation, data generation, automated analysis, model training, and prediction.
THE PROBLEMS YOU’LL SOLVE
As a Software Engineer you’ll work closely with Biologists, Automation Scientists, and Data Scientists to build the infrastructure and applications needed to decode human biology and reinvent drug discovery. In this role, you will:
- Build, scale, and operate a streaming data pipeline. You’ll be on a team responsible for moving, processing, and analyzing about 20 terabytes of images each week.
- Create a world-class research platform. You’ll work with Data Scientists and Biologists to create a platform that allows them to generate and access petabytes of data, gives them tools to quickly iterate on novel analysis and research, and deploys new deep learning models into the production data pipeline.
- Provide visibility into operations. You’ll create tools, dashboards, and metrics that will help everyone keep track of the work they care about, and alert them when they need to take corrective actions.
- Act as a mentor to peers. You will share your technical knowledge and experiences, resulting in an increase in their productivity and effectiveness.
THE QUALITIES WE VALUE
- Experimentation - We want Software Engineers who think critically and use data to measure results. Rigorous use of the scientific method allows our Software Engineers to quickly understand the critical aspects of the problems we’re trying to solve and whether or not we’re moving in the right direction.
- Collaboration - We want Software Engineers who play well with others. The role will require close collaboration with our Biological, High Throughput Screening, and Data Science teams to help us achieve our mission to discover transformative new treatments.
- Curiosity - We want Software Engineers who aren’t satisfied with the status quo. Our Software Engineers openly discuss the tradeoffs inherent in how we build software, and go beyond the traditional boundaries of engineering teams to enable us to get things done faster, cheaper, and more reliably than in traditional drug discovery.
THE EXPERIENCE YOU’LL NEED
We’re hiring a couple of Data Engineers and are interested in people with varying levels of experience.
- An ability to be resourceful and collaborative in order to complete large projects. We don't have much in the way of project managers.
- A track record of learning new technologies as needed to get things done. Our current tech stack uses Python and the pydata libraries, Clojure, Kafka, Kubernetes + Docker, PostgreSQL, Big Query, and other cloud services provided by Google Cloud Platform. Experience with Python or the JVM will be helpful.
- An ability to get things done using various tools from the nooks and crannies of software engineering: composing command line tools such as kubectl, jq, and xargs; creating SQL triggers and managing migrations; and operational support.
- An ability to write well tested and instrumented code that can be continuously deployed into a production environment with confidence.
- An interest in learning from and teaching peers in areas of performance, scalability, and system architecture.
- Biology background is not necessary, but intellectual curiosity is a must!
THE PERKS YOU’LL ENJOY
- Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums (in most cases 100%)
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option grants
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter) in addition to flexible, generous vacation/sick leave
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars
- Generous paid parental leave for birth, non-birth and adoptive parents
- Fully-paid gym membership to Metro Fitness, located just feet away from our new headquarters
- Gleaming new 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking
WHAT WE DO
We have raised over $80M to apply machine learning to one of the most unique datasets in existence - over a petabyte of imaging data spanning more than 10 billion cells treated with hundreds of thousands of different biological and chemical perturbations, generated in our own labs - in order to find treatments for hundreds of diseases. Our long term mission is to decode biology to radically improve lives and we want to understand biology so well that we can fix most things that go wrong in our bodies. Our data scientists and machine learning researchers work on some of the most challenging and interesting problems in computational drug discovery, and collaborate with some of the brightest minds in the deep learning community(Yoshua Bengio is one of our advisors), who help our machine learning team design novel ways of tackling these problems.
Recursion is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. Recursion strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against applicants because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.