THE PROBLEMS YOU’LL SOLVE
The high-level job description has only one item: do whatever is necessary to help us protect our intellectual property and data. In addition to working closely with the IT, engineering, and data science teams, you will help promote secure practices and help guide the company with workflows that are easier and more secure.
Environments we secure include our headquarters in downtown Salt Lake City, our data processing colocation, and our cloud infrastructure in Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud Platform. Our applications are often built with Python, Go, and Clojure.
For this role, we are looking for people who are eager to:
- Test - We want a security expert who can think critically and use adversarial penetration testing to find possible vulnerabilities. Once vulnerabilities are found you will deliver reports and educate impacted users.
- Collaborate - We want security engineers who work well with others. The role will require close collaboration with IT, engineering, and data science teams to help the company reduce the risk of a data breach.
- Teach - We want security engineers who are willing to teach best practices. We are a growing company with employees from a variety of experiences and we will have to continually aim to keep everyone informed and engaged with a security mindset.
- Ask “why?” - We want security engineers who aren’t satisfied with the status quo. Our software and IT teams will openly discuss the tradeoffs inherent in how we build our infrastructure and disaster planning.
Here are some past and upcoming projects:
- Implement a secret management system and integrate with existing applications.
- Design and implement a cloud network topology designed for least privileged access.
- Secure our growing collection of image data.
- Run penetration tests against internal applications looking for SQL injection, XSS, CSRF, and authentication and authorization vulnerabilities.
- Create monitoring, logging, and alerting systems to detect possible attacks.
If you're interested in working for a meaningful purpose (and a massive human impact) and want to help secure a rapidly growing collection of data, let us know. We offer a great compensation package, a structured leveling program with multiple tracks, and an efficient hiring process.
THE EXPERIENCE YOU’LL NEED
- Experience with ethical hacking practices and defense tactics with the ability to apply adversarial tools safely without disrupting existing workflows
- The ability to present to and connect with diverse audiences to create a security-focused mindset and turn all employees into security advocates
- A comfort with software engineering activities, such as Linux command-line usage, SQL scripting, and version control. Bonus for Docker, Kubernetes, and distributed systems
- Extensive knowledge of Firewalls, Networking, Wireless, Active Directory, LDAP, DNS, DHCP Server & Desktop OS to include (Windows & Linux & MacOS)
- A working understanding of Windows and Mac security weaknesses and how to properly avoid them
- Experience working with both cloud and on-premises infrastructure
- A passionate for continuing education with a desire to learn about new and existing vulnerabilities as they may impact the organization
- The ability to share your technical knowledge across multiple teams, increasing their productivity and effectiveness by sharing your deep knowledge and experience
THE PERKS YOU’LL ENJOY
- Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums (in most cases 100%)
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option grants
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter) in addition to flexible, generous vacation/sick leave
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Fully-paid gym membership to Metro Fitness, located just feet away from our new headquarters
- Gleaming new 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking
WHAT WE DO
We have raised over $80M to apply machine learning to one of the most unique datasets in existence - over a petabyte of imaging data spanning more than 10 billion cells treated with hundreds of thousands of different biological and chemical perturbations, generated in our own labs - in order to find treatments for hundreds of diseases. Our long term mission is to decode biology to radically improve lives and we want to understand biology so well that we can fix most things that go wrong in our bodies. Our data scientists and machine learning researchers work on some of the most challenging and interesting problems in computational drug discovery, and collaborate with some of the brightest minds in the deep learning community (Yoshua Bengio is one of our advisors), who help our machine learning team design novel ways of tackling these problems.
Recursion is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. Recursion strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against applicants because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
Check out what it is like to work at Recursion here: https://youtu.be/HVrmHsBD4LI